NHCS promotes fostering safe and healthy communities under a harm reduction mandate. All services are provided in a safe, confidential, and judgement free environment.
Harm reduction programs offered at NHCS:
- A fixed Needle Distribution and Disposal site at the NHCS Truro office.
- A Mobile Outreach Service – the same supplies and services as the fixed site are offered, but mobile outreach meets clients where they are.
- Emergency Bags- These emergency bags are packaged discreetly, and carry a variety of harm reduction supplies for clients who miss NHCS office hours. These bags can be picked up from participating pharmacies throughout northern Nova Scotia. EMERGENCY BAGS DO NOT CONTAIN NALOXONE KITS. If you wish to get a free take-home Naloxone kit, contact NHCS or drop by at our Truro office.
- Condom Co-op. NHCS offers free condoms, lube, and dental dams as a part of a harm reduction philosophy.
- Take Home Naloxone Program. Located at the main office in Truro Nova Scotia.
- Peer Program for current and former drug users
Check out the Emergency Bags page to find a pharmacy in your area!
Services offered at NHCS:
- Support/treatment information and referrals.
- Information on STBBI (Sexually Transmitted and Blood Borne Infections), testing and referrals.
- Prevention education.